PHEW! The debate on the draft harmonized constitution is over without political parties going for each others' jugular.
At the end of the 30-day period that was given to Kenyans by the Committee of Experts (CoE) to debate the draft harmonized constitution, I noticed the change of style and attitude adapted by political parties.
Unlike in 2005 when the two main political parties openly fought over the then draft constitution, the recent debate has ended 'peacefully' with the parties toning down on the war like contests which would make a visitor think that the constitution is about two political parties.
I congratulate the Kenyan media for not creating a hullabaloo about this debate and for framing the issues in a much more sober manner. I believe that one of the reasons this has happened is the delicate power balance of the political mongrel known as the coalition government. I am sure that non of the partners wanted to be seen as jeopardizing the process..
And thank to the framing of issues, Kenyans were able to separate personalities from politics.I hope the thorny issues will be ironed out in the same manner.
Gladyse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment